So, what shall we make mum for Mother’s Day? How about something with
Pacific Sea Salt?
But first, a little information about this pristine salt will come in handy.
Pacific Natural Sea Salt is harvested from the southern oceans around New
Zealand. The sea water is evaporated in solar salt fields using a natural
process of sun and wind. It's gathered once a year to preserve the delicate
balance of minerals present in the salt.
Here are 5 creative gifts that Mom will love.
Basic Salt Dough recipe
- Coarse Pacific Sea Salt
- A 22” or 32” chain for the pendant
- Glitter and beads
- Mix 4 cups flour with 1 cup salt. Stir in 1 1/2 cups cold water. If the
dough doesn’t come together, add another 1/4 cup of water or so.
- Store in a plastic bag in the refrigerator until you are ready to use.
- Place a fist-size piece of dough on a sheet of parchment paper and
cover with a second sheet of parchment paper. Roll out with a rolling
pin to a 1/8 – 1/4 inch thick.
- Use cookie cutters to cut out desired shapes.
- Use the end of a drinking straw to poke a small hole at the top of each
shape to make a pendant.
- Decorate the pendant with a message for mom or poking a pattern of
holes in the dough with the straw, or poking glass beads into the
- Carefully move the parchment paper with the ornaments onto a cookie sheet. Bake at 275° for 2-3 hours or until the salt dough is hard, but not brown. Cool down
- Add a coat of paint and glitter.
- Add a decorative gold chain or a leather string through the hole.
And Voilà, a unique one-of-a-kind Mother’s Day gift for mom to wear with
pride. An easy-to-do DIY with your kids.
One thought on “Fun #DIY Salt Dough Crafts to Make for Mom”