Make your own delicious oatmeal bars with fresh blueberries and honey! These bite size squares make the perfect mid-morning snack to keep you full and focused to finish your day strong!
YIELD: Makes 16 squares
Blueberry Honey Jam:
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup Manuka Honey Blend 5+
- 1 T lemon juice
For the jam:
- Place a small plate in the freezer for testing the jam.
- In a large deep skillet, add blueberries, honey, and lemon juice. Heat and stir until it reaches a rolling boil. Boil and stir until it thickens, 10 minutes.
- Add a small spoonful of the jam onto the plate in the freezer and let sit for 30 seconds. Tilt it. If it slides too fast, cook another 1-2 minutes and check again. If it moves slow, it is done. Test every 1-2 minutes and do not overcook. Remove from the heat and cool to room temperature.
For the bars:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line an 8×8 square pan with parchment or grease with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, oats, cinnamon, baking soda, and sea salt.
- In another large bowl, beat together the butter, honey, and brown sugar until creamy, about 2-3 minutes. Beat in the egg and vanilla until incorporated, about 1 minute (it may look curdled). Gradually beat in the flour mixture.
- Evenly spread no more than half of the dough into the bottom of the pan. Top with cooled blueberry jam. Top with the remaining dough.
- Bake 30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely before cutting into squares.
Based on a recipe form: National Honey Board